Professional Piercers Deliver Quality At The Best Price
Hi, Happy Dave here,
Remember when your friend got their first piercing and they were so excited about it? They showed it off to everyone the moment they got it. By the second day, though, it was turning an angry red. Within a week it was infected. The area was swollen and gross. Your friend pulled out the piercing and let it heal closed thereby wasting all the money they spent. The whole experience made you think twice about getting your own piercing. Chances are that your friend, when looking for a piercer, just asked about price and NOT about the training and expertise of the piercer. Price should never be your ONLY consideration when choosing a body piercer. By choosing a professionally trained piercer with a proven track record, you can ensure that your piercings will heal properly and look beautiful.
No State Licensing Requirements
Few people realize that there are NO training requirements for piercers in the State of Illinois. Anyone can claim to be a professional body piercer provided they work in a shop which is licensed by the Illinois Department of Public Health. IDPH is concerned with the cleanliness of the shop and the sterilization of the equipment and inspect shops only once a year. Many so-called piercers have little or no professional training. There are simply not enough certified trainers to meet the demand. Furthermore, few potential customers know or care what separates a professional trainer from someone who just watched a Youtube video. Most just want it cheap.
The Problem With Cheap
The problem with just shopping for cheap is aftercare. Poorly trained piercers frequently don’t provide proper aftercare instructions. When something goes wrong they can’t or won’t help the customer. Frequently the customer, to stop the pain or to avoid further complications, will simply remove the piercing. So the money they spent on their bargain piercing may just as well have been flushed down the toilet. A professionally trained piercer trained performs the procedure properly, gives full and complete aftercare instructions and encourages their clients to call if problem occur.
Finding A Professional Piercer
Finding the right piercing professional isn’t hard. You simply have to ask the right questions. Here are a few good questions to ask when looking for your piercing professional.
- How long have they been piercing and who trained them?
- Are photos of their work available online or at their location? You want to get a look at the quality of their work.
- How often do they spore test? Illinois law requires regular spore testing to ensure that all sterilizer equipment is working properly. Many shops have one person in charge of machine maintenance so the pierce might not know for sure. If they don’t, ask them to find out.
- Is the piercer also a tattoo artist or some other type of body modification specialist? If so, find out if piercing is merely a sideline. If piercing is their part time profession they might not be fully trained. Whereas an artist who is ONLY a piercer will have respect for the art form and craft.
- Do they perform genital piercings? Even if you are not interested in a genital piercing, asking will give you an idea of how fully they were trained. If they do not do genital piercings you will want to investigate more fully into their training and background.
These five questions won’t give you all the information you need to find the best quality piercer in your area, but they are a good place to start.
Piercings are permanent. You owe it to your body to use a professionally trained piercer who does the job correctly and provides appropriate aftercare. You don’t have to spend a fortune on your body modifications, but by spending a little more you can have a beautiful piercing which you can display with pride.